Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Soul to Keep - Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Keep
Author: Rachel Vincent
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: June 1, 2010
Rating: Young Adult
Received: NetGalley, also bought the physical book

WHEN KAYLEE CAVANAUGH SCREAMS, SOMEONE DIES AND KAYLEE IS ABOUT TO SCREAM HER HEAD OFF...

Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.

Until something does.

Demon’s breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow, the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked.

And when the epidemic hits too close to home, Kaylee will have to risk everything to save those she loves. (Summary from rachelvincent.com)

I have a bad habit with books. I buy them and I skip right to reading the ending; that way I know what I have in store for me. Is it the best thing to do? Probably not, but it is something that I can't stop. So with My Soul to Keep I looked at the ending and well, it wasn't the happiest. That is another one of my book downfalls. I like to have everything end happy. I decided to leave My Soul to Keep to read for when My Soul to Steal (book 4) comes out. I wanted to know how book 4 played out (does that one end up happy enough for my sake?) ...

I'm obviously writing a review for My Soul to Keep before My Soul to Steal even comes out. Why? I decided to face my fears (it doesn't have to end happy Alex!) and trust the author. And I am very glad I did because I really liked this novel.

My favorite things about it would have to be Kaylee, Tod and the action. The action made me want to keep reading. Even though I knew the ending, I didn't know the middle and the middle was pretty awesome. The storyline was exciting and even if you don't personally know anyone who does drugs you get a good grip on users. Tod, while always being morally ambiguous is one of the best characters of the series. He may be a reaper who has to kill people but when you are close to him he will do anything in his power to protect you. I've decided that I am now all Team Kaylee! She actually is one of my most favorite protagonists ever. She is just so caring and even when she makes stupid decisions I just can't get that mad at her. Normally with a s
eries I am all pro-the main couple but even if Kaylee decides to move onto someone other than Nash I think I would be okay with it.

What I didn't like was how a certain character acted. I won't say who but I ended up really disappointed in them. After thinking about it though I can understand why it was important to be written that way. As much as I like my happy endings people do make mistakes. And for those worried about how this book ended (like how I was when I just read the ending without the middle) you don't have to be scared because the book does end on a somewhat hopeful note. Even when things can seem to be too much there is always a chance for things to get better.

I am very glad to have read this novel. I faced my fears and found that trusting in Rachel Vincent is a smart thing to do. I think I will have to read Shift now (I was nervous about that one too). I for one am very excited for the next novel. Go Team Kaylee!




Here's my Soul Screamers novels.
My Soul to Take.
My Soul to Save.
My Soul to Keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment